I must be insane.
I went a little crazy this week in my meal planning. 4 of my dishes are new, and 2 of them are with ingredients I’ve never cooked with or even eaten before. But they were on sale and I want to be adventurous. At least a little bit.
- Chicken and Asparagus Stir Fry – Asparagus was on sale and it’s in season, plus who doesn’t love stir fries? I’ll be using my stock of chicken thighs for the meat.
- Sausage-Spinach Rice Bowl – I’ll be using ground turkey instead of sausage. I still need to go to Trader Joe’s and get both the ground turkey and the spinach.
- Glazed Pork Chops with Quinoa and Vegetables – We don’t eat pork a lot because I’m not the biggest fan. It’s always too chewy and the taste is too much like beef for me. The quinoa recipe is new, I’m going to pick some up at Trader Joe’s too.
- Baked Scallops with Broccoli Edamame Rice – I’ve never eaten scallops let alone cooked with them. As with every other thing I’ve ever cooked, I figure baking is the best way to start off as it’s pretty foolproof.
- Baked Tilapia with Cheesy Rice and Broccoli – I don’t think I’ve ever eaten tilapia but I really want to start eating more fish.
I think I did pretty well this week, every meal has protein, a grain and at least one vegetable. It’s mostly rice, but brown rice is good for you. I’ll have to explore different kinds of grains or change out one of the rice dishes for some extra quinoa.
Aside from the fact that I need to buy a few things at Trader Joe’s, all ingredients for meals that I didn’t already have came out to $21.54. Still within a normal budget and that included the fish. The tilapia was normally $9.99 but was on sale for $3.99, who could turn that down? And the scallops were $5.50 or 2/$11 and are normally $6.99. They’re frozen, not fresh, but that leaves a bit more room for error.